Senior officials from the Department of Justice and the FBI on Thursday said three Iranians had been indicted on cyber-related charges after a ransom scheme hit critical U.S. infrastructure.
The officials did not release the names of the Iranian culprits and said they are likely still residing in Iran.
The three individuals accused are not believed to have been acting on behalf of the Iranian government, but have connections to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard – which is deemed a terrorist organization by the U.S.
Senior DOJ and FBI officials told reporters Wednesday this attack was a “side job” purely for profit and acted “with impunity.”
Those targeted in the attack included local governments, state governments, transportation companies, aerospace, power utility companies and even a domestic violence shelter, according to DOJ officials.
Officials did not clarify the extent of the cyber-attacks or specify if power was cut as a result of attack.
The investigation remains ongoing.
Check back on this developing story.